the good and the bad news

There's good news and there's bad news. The bad news is that we've found some problems with the developer data collected during the October 2004 run, namely that the last half of the letter 'z' (specifically project unixnames > 'zin') weren't collected. This means that there could be other problems lurking under the surface of the data for the October run, such as other missing chunks of information. Yuck.

The good news is multifold:
(a) we found the problem (yay);
(b) we have an active developer community that is using the data for real problems and is able to fix things like this when they arise;
(c) the newer developer runs (January) don't seem to be affected;
(d) we're adding in some donated data soon that will help fill in holes like this;
(e) we've got a brand new collection engine in alpha right now that will get the runs done faster and more accurately, thus reducing these risks in the future!